Need Help? Talk to an Immigration Expert +1 (647) 221-2022

Work Permit

Work permit

To access the Canadian labour market, anyone who want to work must first get a work permit. There are two types of work permit:

  1. Open Work Permit
  2. Closed Work Permit

Open Work Permit

Spousal open work permit

An open work permit may be available to your spouse or common-law partner if you:

1. Have a valid study permit
2. Are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and
3. Are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
4. A public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec5. a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree)

Your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit will be valid for the same period as your study permit

1. Post graduate work permit

Students who have graduated from qualified Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program, which enables them to get an open work permit and achieve worthwhile Canadian work experience. Graduates can become eligible for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class in Express Entry by accumulating skilled Canadian work experience in TEER categories 0, 1, or 3 through the PGWP Program

2. Co-op Work Permit

Work experience is a component of certain study programs’ curriculum. If you satisfy all the requirements listed below, you may apply for a co-op or intern work permit.

  1. You have a valid study permit.
  2. You are required to work to complete your study program in Canada.
  3. You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree.
  4. Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program.

If you’re enrolling in one of the following courses, you are ineligible for a co-op work permit:

  1. English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL)
  2. General interest courses
  3. Courses to prepare for another study program.

If you’re not eligible for a co-op work permit, but you want to work in Canada, you need to apply for a work permit

Closed Work Permit

Employer Specific work permit- LMIA based work permit

An employer in Canada can need a Labour Market Assessment (LMIA) if they need to engage a foreign worker. When the LMIA is accepted, this is referred to as a “positive LMIA” and it will demonstrate that a foreign worker is required to fill the role. It will demonstrate that there was no permanent resident or employee from Canada to fill that post. A confirmation letter is another name for a positive LMIA. If an employer requires an LMIA, they must apply. A worker needs the following documents to apply for a work permit:

  1. A job offer letter
  2. A contract with the employer
  3. A copy of LMIA
  4. And the LMIA number

Get your free assessment today